What You Should Do If a Debt Collector Has Sued You- Advice

If a debt collector is suing you for a debt, you will need to do some legal research and write some “motions.” Motions are the way you ask the judge to take some action, such as withdrawing the case, or requiring the debt collector to provide you with some documents you have requested. Much of the research you already need to do is actually very easy to find, and you can easily find the forms you need to follow as well. All of this stuff is on the court, and it’s not difficult to find or use.

More tips here https://chieforganizer.org/2014/08/07/bank-of-america-record-settlement-with-remorse/

“The first document you will face in a debt action as a claimant is the “Complaint” or “Petition.” It is the document that states you owe money to the corporation and why. If you look at a few of them, you’ll see that they follow a pattern that is very clear. In reality, in my experience, all the cases brought against my clients by any given corporation looked almost exactly the same, with only the numbers altered. This isn’t science for rockets. They’re doing that because they’re learning how to say what they want to say and doing it over and over again. Makes sense, does it?

Each court has clerks, and almost all the courts have computer records of each case filed in the jurisdiction these days as well. You can ask a clerk to lead you to a machine like that. “You do a quick search while there: “the name of the corporation suing you.” This search can pull up hundreds of entries, and if you go to the archives, you can find that almost everyone starts with a petition that looks strikingly like yours. Wait, though. You want to see the answer-what that’s shows you what you need to do. And for this, you would want the pages that are sometimes referred to as the “docket sheets” and sometimes referred to as the “case histories” of a few of the instances you found. Or maybe you should collect the data directly from the table of contents of the case.